Organization of communication and activities on energy consumption lifestyles: meetings, focus group, website information, extensive communication at public commission works (local authorities, junior councils of the city, etc.), transmitting knowledge with traditional media but also using workshops, theatre and video. They were important moments to collects ideas and exchange experience tested within the same neighbourhoods.
All the processes were monitored during the activities during fifteen meetings between teachers and stakeholders. The focus of the meetings was on the methodology and on the ability to actively involve the families and the citizens of the area and not only students.
Most of the participants were already involved in actions and projects about sustainability issues such as for example:
- Calculation of ecological footprint: all participants drew and described their experience on energy consumption to share with others teachers, people of other associations and local firms.
- ”Children and Parents Photo-gallery” talked through images and pictures about their ideas on saving energy and drew a map of energy waste in the city.
- ”Agriscuola” (an open school vegetable garden) working in the garden together with pupils, families, teachers and others schools.
- This approach suggested new measures to take and a new way to work, bridging
between teachers and families:
- Pre and primary schools began projects with parents mapping energy consumption at home and at school. The energy consumption control allowed to reduce consumption by putting attention to daily lifestyles.
- The lower and higher secondary schools introduced in their school program a close examination of technical aspects of energy production. They had the opportunity to visit a photovoltaic panel company with experts andengineers, and to discuss and reflect on renewable energy.
- Three of these schools became open to the others in order to use some opportunities such as a photovoltaic installation with a energy counter in the hall of the school and a school vegetable garden with a photovoltaic panel.
- Two others schools – one lower and one higher secondary school – had hosted an interactive exhibit entitled ”Education to sustainability” provided by Association ”Il tuo parco”. Students became visit guides for their parents.
- There was also the opportunity for all the schools to have practical experience in two public structures specialized in education to sustainability: The Falchera Didactic Farm and the residential laboratory of Pracatinat in which students could have three or five-day short courses to work on projects connected to a specific point of view regarding sustainability.
- Parents and teachers highlighted at meetings that the courses had promoted new responsible attitudes and behaviour to children and teenagers, contaminating the parents, brothers and sisters and the other pupils of their o school.
- Kindergartens Educational Agreement (Patto educativo per il risparmio) between ren, parents and teachers: real agreement ”schools and families ‘ o control energy and water consumption and others goods.
- This kind of agreement was the start of a collaboration until today for a lot of measures taken at school and run by families: cultural activities, renovation of common areas of the school, painting courses, construction and repairing toys, focus group about critical/difficult relationships
At the same time the collaboration promoted connections between different actors in the urban area, involving local stakeholders in sharing what they were doing about energy issues and sustainable lifestyles.
A couple of interesting events were organized especially for teachers or
- a theatrical performance on Sunday afternoon for families about environment and the relationship respectful of its resources
- a public meeting to watch films on the environment talking with the director of “Cinemambiente”(Cinemabiente is a world famous Turin’s film festival about environmental issues)
The authentic characteristics of this collaborative practice have been: the analysis of the problem, shared objectives, amplified participation involving many students, parents, friends and neighbours; giving value to the already present skills and background using participatory methodologies; to find new ways to permit the project to continue and finding new local actors such as facilitators, in partnership with local authorities.
The collaboration was developed from 2008 to 2011 and now it is restarting to
continue the work, involving the same community in others measures, addressing
once again to the construction of networks and working path inspired by the ESD
Monitoring and evaluation: many meetings and working groups allowed to monitor students, interviews to adults, referee guides to monitor products) to highlight the difficulties or achievements.
The participation to the collaboration of all institutional partners were supported by each institution, and the same for teachers, but their interesting involvement has created a large voluntary engagement.
- Training development support for meetings, focus groups and workshops
- Role facilitation for general organization of projects
- Preparation of special training and evaluation tools
- Collection of documents on specific activities of each school: video, photos, power point and reports
- Workpaper about processes organized and tools employed during the
- CD Collection of proposal on energy issues in the city and links to other networks (“Dossier di proposte su consumo e stili di vita”)
- Carrillo L., Galetto C., Gigli F., Montani F. Costruzione di reti (Building networks). Regione Piemonte,Torino, 201 1